[Terrapreta] History on the climate aspects of the terrapreta list

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Jun 5 03:53:11 CDT 2008

Dear Ron

I would suggest that every person on the TP List would agree that
burying biochar or using it as an agricultural supplement will tend to
reduce the CO2 content of the Atmosphere. The problem is that nobody
seems to know if Terra Preta will work and be economic outside of
Brazil, as an agricultural supplement.

Would you know of anywhere in the World North or south of the 20 Degree
of Latitude where char has recently been added to agricultural soils in
a commercially successful manner?

Would not the cause of Terra Preta Advancement be better served if we
directed our efforts at understanding how it works and how to make it
for different soil conditions and for different climates, rather than
focusing on the GHG benefits from TP that can only be realized if we
know how to make TP work economically??

Imagine if we had a "Terra Preta Farmer's Manual" that told the Farmer
how to improve his soil and his yields through biochar additions, and
provided a credible estimate of costs and benefits. If the process was
economic, then a very large market would develop for biochar. Success in
Agriculture is the engine that will drive the demand for biochar for
soil application. No sensible Farmer is going to spread biochar on his
land unless it will be advantageous. What is needed is extensive Field
Testing so that a Farmer will have a rational basis for spending money
on buying and applying biochar to his lands.

The payment or credit per tonne of Carbon sequestered will be determined
by Governments and Agencies and Markets far removed from biochar and
Terra Preta. Once these "Outside Forces" set the payment per tonne of
Carbon sequestered, there could be a mad rush to make charcoal and apply
it to the land, IF the Farmer can make money by doing it. Perhaps a
charcoal payment of $30 per tonne is enough to justify using biochar as
an agricultural supplement... perhaps $200 per tonne of char is
required. The sad thing is that at the present, we don't know.

I have some marginal land here in Nova Scotia. I want to grow bush
beans. Can you give me the name and address of anyone in the World who
can tell me how much biochar I should add to my soil, and what else I
should do, to get maximum economic results?
I would like to know:
* Can I use any wood to make the char?
* What temperature should the char be made at?
* What size should it be for best application?
* How much should I add per acre?
* What other additives and treatments should I apply?
* What would be the expected increase in bean yield using the
recommended biochar based treatment?
* What would be the "second best treatment"?
* Would the increased cost of the char additions be justified by the
increment in yield?

If Farmers had the answers to these questions, then it would be very
easy to decide in a rational manner whether or not they should add char
to their soil. Only if the answer was positive would they add biochar to
their soil. Only then would the World get a GHG benefit from their
biochar additions to the soil.

"To make a Rabbit Pie, first catch a Rabbit." Would you not agree that
to get a GHG benefit from New Terra Preta, we must first figure out how
to make and use New Terra Preta?

Would you also agree that whether we believe in, or disbelieve in GW,
nothing will happen with New Terra Preta unless the Grower can make
money by using biochar as an agricultural additive?

Shouldn't our first priority be to figure out how to make New Terra
Preta work? Only after we can demonstrate that New Terra Preta is
economic can we expect to get Green House Gas benefits from it.
Promoting the GHG benefits of New Terra Preta before we have a process
that works, is like selling chickens before we even have a hen to lay
the eggs.

Best wishes,

Kevin