[Terrapreta] History on the climate aspects of the terrapreta list

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Jun 5 00:15:11 CDT 2008

Greg (with ccs):

    I'm afraid you are pretty far off base on what this list is about.

We hope that soil scientists around the world will contribute to this list with soil answers needed by those others of us interested in a very different aspect of TP soils. That different aspect is that the sequestered charcoal is taking CO2 out of the atmosphere - apparently at a lower cost than any other means of doing so. Hopefully, a large percentage of submissions to this new list will concentrate on TP's climate benefits (and costs).

    I helped write those sentences.  I feel very strongly that the climate aspects of terra preta are what will drive its introduction ( I predict $100 / ton carbon dioxide within 5 years, or .> $350/ ton char).  Your comments arguing against what I believe are the views of the vast majority of the list members are slowing down something very important to most of us.

    Because I feel obligated to understand how members of this list cannot believe in GW, I would appreciate your replying to me (offline) on the single best scientific rationale behind your denier beliefs.

    I probably would not write except I am upset by the denier Republicans in the US Senate today demanding that the climate cap and trade bill be read out loud in its entirety.  More than five hours totally wasted.

Ron

Ron