[Terrapreta] Discussion about CO2 very important to this list

Laurens Rademakers lrademakers at biopact.com
Thu Jun 5 10:12:20 CDT 2008

Duane, Kevin and some others,

I strongly disagree with your idea that discussions about climate change
solutions are irrelevant to this list.  I don't even understand why you can
think so.

Terra preta or biochar is strictly tied to its capacity to reduce
atmospheric CO2 levels. That's precisely what makes biochar of actual and
immediate importance. Biochar is more about storing C into soils as a way to
mitigate climate change, than about improving crop yields. Even improving
crop yields is part of the broader discussion about the carbon cycle (as
increased crop productivity leads to more potential char production).

What's more, to make biochar even a remotely competitive way to use biomass,
you need to look at participating in carbon markets which may offer money
for us storing C in soils. Without these credits, biochar is not a
commercial pathway for using biomass - except perhaps in very poor tropical
soils, where the positive effects on plant growth are so big.

The processes used to make biochar are all about energy production and
bioconversion, so here too you are directly confronted with discussions
about climate change (are the conversion pathways to make char climate
friendly? How can we design pyrolysis and gasification concepts that yield
both char and energy in optimal ways?, etc...).

Finally, if we ever want to make serious progress in biochar/soil research
we would want to get money from governments. Governments will obviously be
far more interested in spending money on this research if they know that
biochar can reduce atmospheric CO2 levels, than if they merely get to hear
that biochar has an effect on plant growth.

Biochar is all about tapping simultaneous benefits: the capacity to
sequester carbon in a very cost-effective way while generating renewable
energy, potential improvements in plant growth, and a more sustainable use
of soils.

In short, I call for more discussions about climate change solutions, carbon
markets, alternative carbon sequestration options (such as synthetic trees,
burying whole trees, reforestation, avoided deforestation and REDD, etc...)
and bioenergy in order to understand biochar's place in this list of
alternatives.

Limiting this list to discussions about biochar's effects in soils only,
would be a sign of a lack of understanding of the many dimensions of the
topic.

Lorenzo