[Terrapreta] History on the climate aspects of the terrapretalist

Ron Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Jun 5 12:13:35 CDT 2008

Duane:

    See notes below.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Duane Pendergast" <still.thinking at computare.org>
To: "'Kevin Chisholm'" <kchisholm at ca.inter.net>
Cc: "'Terra Preta'" <terrapreta at bioenergylists.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 8:34 AM
Subject: Re: [Terrapreta] History on the climate aspects of the terrapretalist

> Good points Kevin!
>
> The soil improvement aspects of TP need long term research - likely long
> before commercial feasibility will be demonstrated. The agricultural
> research stations in Canada have the general mandate to do that.  [RWL:  Agreed.  I am amazed at the huge ag soils research network out there - that we need badly to get going on the needed research.  I think this is mostly federally funded?]
>
> I had an article published in Alberta Oil where I introduced the TP concept
> and sang in praise of this TP list. My - so far probably forlorn - hope was
> that Alberta industry and agricultural  interests might catch on to the
> concept and initiate some long term R&D to evaluate potential application to
> remediation of lands adversely impacted by production of oil from the tar
> sands.
>
> http://www.computare.org/publications.htm
>
> or
>
> http://www.computare.org/Support%20documents/Publications/Soil%20from%20Oil/
> Soil%20From%20Oil0001.pdf

    [RWL:  Duane - I found a very nice site.  Nice paper.  Congratulations.  I think the oil industry is not likely to be the most receptive group to receive your biochar message - but I applaud you for trying.  Responding favorably to your message of land reclamation  (we are seeing biochar-related interest in this topic in Colorado as well) probably is not welcome to those creating the problem. ]

> I, I think like you, would like to see more focus on the soil improvement
> aspect of TP on the list. If anyone actually read my article and tuned into
> the list, they would likely be turned off by all the rhetoric on CO2 induced
> warming. There is plenty of inane promotional oratory in the daily media on
> CO2 induced GW and potential solutions. I think it is counter productive to
> pay a lot of attention to it here.
    [RWL:  I am responding mostly because of your use of <inane promotional oratory>.  Probably better to have let it slide - but that language does not seem to fit with what I found on your web site about global warming.  What am I missing?  Have you changed your mind on warming?  Of course I have to disagree on counter-productivity.     Ron]