[Terrapreta] Focus ON TOPIC: what can TP do against GW/GCC

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Thu Jun 5 19:48:48 CDT 2008

Hi Duane,

The perspective I have been trying to take is that there are at least two benefits to charcoal-in-soil: 1) it appears to be able to improve the fertility of some soils, particularly soils which are low in organic matter or nutrients for some reason (e.g. like the Oxisol soils in the Amazon) and 2) it can sequester CO2 for a long time (several centuries at least or even several millennia).

1) The soil fertility and agricultural productivity benefits may take quite some time to develop with any particular soil, even if the research for how to do it does not take quite some time, and in the end it may not really be a useful or large benefit in some soils, or maybe not a large enough benefit to justify the investment in particular types of soil.  Some tell me "NO FARMER WILL EVER DO THIS UNLESS IS SHOWS ECONOMIC VAIBILITY WITHING AT MOST A YEAR  OR TWO OR VERY FEW!".  This is like telling me I have to believe that only farmers can put charcoal-in-soil? Maybe it doesn't do anything obvious in temperate and relatively fertile soils versus tropical and infertile soils?  Who knows if it can repair soils degraded by "overuse" with industrial agriculture regimens?

2) Putting charcoal-in-soil to sequester it takes no more research to determine (there is charcoal at least 4500 years old still in the soil in the Amazon).  With charcoal made from biomass that is grown in the atmosphere putting this charcoal into soil has the advantage that it removes CO2 from the atmosphere.  If one can accept that CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere are rising too fast and are already high to a troublesome level, then one can use 2) immediately to remove CO2 from the atmosphere and sequester it in soil.  It is already known how to make charcoal without emissions of Methane-CH4.  It appears charcoal-in-soil can reduce N2O emissions.  So, making charcoal-in-soil now can make important and immediate strides to reduce the rise in GHG concentrations.

Given that my perspective is that atmospheric CO2 concentrations do indeed need to be reduced in a very large way very soon (circa 10-20 years or so) and I think charcoal-in-soil can do this, then this is where I put my focus in the discussions on the TP list.  Tom Miles, Michael Bailles, and Ron Larson all have stated that Carbon sequestration via formation of Terra Preta soils is a goal of the TP list members, part of the charter for the website and the list (see this in writing => http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/about<http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/about>), and a valid topic for discussion among members of the list.

Now, try to mention this point on the open list and you will get many claims that you are a OFF-TOPIC, that you have "the cart before the horse" , and/or that the benefits to soil are far more important than the possible CO2 removal from the atmosphere or the carbon sequestration benefits, like those pushing the latter benefits are greedy money grubbing desires and soil benefits are altruistic.  I am an AGW advocate.  I know TP can reduce GW.  I will make this claim to my dying days.  I also believe that TP for fixing GW is MORE IMPORTANT NOW than TP for soil benefits.  I don't think balance is needed.  I think TP soil benefits will be a long time in coming and TP for reducing the effects of GW/GCC is needed right now.

I think those who wish to stifle me and say that I have the wrong perspective about this is hogwash!  My perspective is that our world is suffering greatly now, already under stress of rising CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere, and that it will get very bad relatively soon for growing anything, regardless of the soil, if we do not address the problem, cease CO2 emissions, and make a huge effort to remove CO2 and reduce the concentrations back to a safer level (somewhere between 280 and 350 ppm).

This assertion that I am OFF TOPIC and should be muzzled on this list is insensible to me.  It angers me to be insulted about this.  I think that climate has more to do with healthy plant growth than soil.  Plants can be growth without soil, but not without water.  Water availability and soil with enough water in it are two of the first problems that are going to result as part of the GW/GCC effects.  Many plants cannot survive in dry heat.  Desertification is occurring with ever increasing rapidity.  Habitat destruction for plant life is being changed by GW and GCC.
Large swaths of existing arable land will be inundated by just a few meters of sea level rise.

I think making charcoal and putting it in soil to save the climate is "the horse", and the soils benefits to dry, infertile soils is "the cart".

This perspective is not given the respect it is due on the TP list.

Now all of you reading this are going to think I am a goofy bastard ... Would anyone of you please post this to the list that I have un-subscribed from!?  Hahahaha!