[Terrapreta] Char application negative / delayed benefits

Robert Klein arclein at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 5 13:47:09 CDT 2008

Hi All

It is  best to recall that carbon in the elemental form  is not a nutrient or even in ionic form prepared to enter into a compound.

What we have is a solid crystalline acid that attracts and holds other ions.  These are held until a life form arrives and extracts them.

This also means that it is sufficient to provide a charge of finely divided char that brings the content of the working soil up to the traditional 15%, although I suspect far less is needed,  Once the Indios got going , they never quit.

Any new addition of fertilizer will be acquired and trapped pending use.  This prevents loss into the ground water, and certainly reduces the necessary addition of fresh fertilizer.

An interesting experiment now is to do a pot test in which a char nutrient charge is subjected to several cropping cycles.  This may give us a clue as to how much less fertilizer will be used as a result.  We would love to be able to predict the drop in usage which hits the bottom line.

arclein