[Terrapreta] Dumping Char in a hole

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Thu Jun 5 21:46:10 CDT 2008

Dear Kurt

If we don't advance the cause of New Terra Preta to the point that there
are palpable benefits in agriculture, then burying it in old mine
workings is indeed an option.

However, your suggestion makes far more sense...leave the coal in the
ground and burn the biochar instead. That way, there would be a Carbon
Negative Benefit:

1: The fossil coal would remain unburned
2: Fossil energy costs associated with biochar production would likely
be less than fossil energy requirements for an equivalent energy content
in coal.

Best wishes,

Kevin