[Terrapreta] Hansen's Proposal

Mary Lehmann mlehmann3 at austin.rr.com
Sat Jun 7 16:22:57 CDT 2008

Lou, this article is highly relevant to the future of biochar.  Peter
Barnes has a better plan than Hansen's because rationing is more
effective in limiting use than taxation is.  Barnes is somewhat of a
chicken, though, for not including privately owned land in the sphere
of nature's resources.  People didn't make  privately owned land!
Land is one case where taxing it (and not improvements) does work.
(The supply, hence use, is already limited.)  Taxpayers don't
understand this beneficial aspect of taxing land.  Highly taxed land
is also cheaper and curtails sprawl and speculation sharply.

  All cities and other governing bodies should be concerned with this
issue, which is really one of protecting the Commons (land).  So is
the whole purpose of biochar, assuming protection includes carbon
sequestration.

I don't like the blog-and-string-of-replies form, but if you think of
a simple way to look into and discuss this further, and wish to, let
me know.

Can't write more as I'm getting ready to go away for a week.

Mary