[Terrapreta] char & vascular systems

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Sat Jun 7 17:48:08 CDT 2008

Hello Richard,

MSW is municipal solid waste (often referred to as "poo" on this List).
Michael Antal reports that it makes good biochar and I believe that it
represents an amorphous substance without a defined circulatory structure as
found in plants (http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/taxonomy/term/93).

When you ask about sites of biological activity, I'm assuming that you are
referring to sites at least large enough (if it is a pore we are referring
to) to host a single bacterium. In general, this implies a physical feature
that is quite large, say 200nm, or it implies that the activity must occur
on an exterior surface. The more the distribution of pore sizes and
interstitial voids tends toward physical dimensions that support
bio-habitation, the less total surface area is available per unit of mass. I
presume that this implies that valuable characteristics attributed to
biochar that require large surface areas-adsorption based on van der Waals
forces, for instance-will be affected but I can only think of this as an
engineer, not as a biologist or pedologist. And I confess that I have not
read Ogawa's work although I would be enormously grateful for any reprints
that would increase my understanding of all of this. {;>)

Maybe I'm the only Lister that "doesn't get it" but it seems to me that once
we get past agreeing that biochar is black, there's not much agreement about
structural-functional relationships. We all want it to work, somehow, but is
this just the simple end result of forming the stuff at a particular
temperature? I'm starving for some deeper understandings.

Best regards,

Mark