[Terrapreta] char & vascular systems

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sun Jun 8 11:37:38 CDT 2008

Interpreting my soil analysis series has been interesting. I just
received analysis from my spring tests and because of the costs I am
omitting the fall test series ($315 each set of 28). Last year we
conducted 2 test series, spring and fall.

Most striking is the lack of nitrogen as nitrate in fall and
reappearance  in spring. This indicates to me the biological role of
biomass in preventing leaching of this soluble mineral.  As soon I
finish my spring planting work load I am going to attempt some
analysis of this set and compare to last year. I am not sure though
whether my simple set of analysis and growth observations is going to
answer this question of char role in soil. It is helping us though to
understand the usefulness of our current soil management program,
composting and fertilization by comparing different treatments in a
block study. We have never studied our soils so intensively and
learning how fertility varies in adjacent blocks has been a revelation
and a factor that confounds analysis.

I think by extending our study for a number of years, as long as we
can do it, will give us the most useful information. With analysis
that we do not have access because of our position as farmers and not
university researchers we are not able to do the tests to identify
nitrogen fixation, to study soil respiration or microbial composition
much less the more frequent and more detailed chemical analysis.

This brings me back to a more scholarly approach to try to understand
more fully what has already been published by the scientific community.

On Jun 7, 2008, at 10:51 PM, Mark Ludlow wrote:

> In all fairness, I hope I didn't imply that I thought that habitat
> opportunity has no role. However, it's difficult to imagine that this
> macroscopic (in dimensional terms) activity is the primary driver
> for the
> goodness of char. The macroporous structure, while desirable, may be
> overrated

I would not agree with your terminology 'macroporous' as some charcoal/
cell structures only admit bacteria because of size while others are
large enough for certain fungi but not others and invertebrates, and
so on .
In addition the inorganic environment of charcoal serves as a
selective cultural enrichment for chemoautotrophs and mycorrhizal
symbionts and their interactive communities of other organisms. In the
literature difference is noted in respiration response of original
terra preta soils to TP nova indicating to me the result of time and
the ecological balance that occurs in the microbial population after
many years in a black carbon rich soil. Species profiles cannot be
done but DNA profiling is a useful tool. What does this information
indicate?

This all points in my opinion - the primary reason for function of
terra preta is biological not physical chemical properties of soil. If
the reverse were the case then would not clay colloids and their
surface active function mask or replace the function of charcoal or
black carbon in soil. ??

Back to my own problems conducting and interpreting my own tests I
really do not know what is the 'background level' of black carbon in
my sandy loam test soils. This takes expensive and difficult tests and
as is known from published results as much as 30% of soil organic
matter in some soils can be represented as black carbon.

At our site we have found  native artifacts from archaic period, up to
8,000 to 10,000 years bp and western washington was probably uncoved
from the last glacial period about 15,000 years ago. Much can happen
during this period of time. I can walk around our fields in the winter
and pick up tiny pieces of charcoal anywhere, then also assuming there
is powder unseen just what role/significance does this already play?

Rich