[Terrapreta] pee & poo

Roy Lent rwlent at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 19:20:16 CDT 2008

I'd like to throw in a number of observations into this thread.

Urine is close to sterile as it leaves a healthy human body. Poo is quite a
different thing and is far from sterile.

Poo can be sent to a biodigester. In effect hog farms can send all the hog
manure to a biodigester. Some 10% of what the hogs are fed can be sludge
from the same biodigester or their own processed manure. Normally there's no
problem as long as the hogs don't find out. What they are eating in effect
is masses of bacteria formed by the operation of the digesters.

Any time one burns sludge or any other organic mixture most the fixed
nitrogen is lost to the atmosphere. For this reason I am often doubtful
about gasification or charring of manure and such.

Roy