[Terrapreta] char & vascular systems

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Fri Jun 13 01:29:33 CDT 2008

Hi Lloyd,

Why not test  the char at the test-pot level and see what the uptake in your
test plants is. GC-Mass-Spec determinations typically measures elemental
occurrences; heretical as it may sound, might it not be wise to measure the
effect on the target produce?

At some point in the not-so-distant-future these metals will be more evenly
distributed in Earth's productive soils. Well water in some South Asian
countries, used for watering, would help to ensure this, for example. But
soil components-clays, for instance-may in some instances chelate and make
these metals unavailable.

One thing seems certain: the occurrence of objectionable metals is unlikely
to trend downward anytime soon.

Biochar itself is often associated with polycyclic hydrocarbons, if made
according to standard formulae offered here and elsewhere? Is this stuff
healthy? If so, we should bottle it and sell it to pay for the TP revival!

Mark