[Terrapreta] char & vascular systems

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Fri Jun 13 04:40:19 CDT 2008

My current soil tests do not look at arsenic but Mark has a good
suggestion. Do plants take up this element is a basic question. As a
baseline look at arsenic typical in dried brown (Phaeophyta) seaweed,
kelp (Nereocystis, Macrocystis). This is a material commonly used in
organic agriculture and as food supplement. I've been told to be
careful consuming dried kelp but is it taken up by plants? Also what
is arsenic content of 'green sand', and rock dust from olivine and
granite relative to this biochar? These are also used as soil
supplements in organic agriculture.

For my household water we maintain baseline studies with mass
spectrometer every 5 years. A spectrum analysis is about $120 in
Vancouver, BC. If a pot test is done I would think about conditions
where arsenic is released or flushed from any chelation properties in
soil, ie mass replacement. Not sure about the chemistry here but would
potassium or sodium flush off the arsenic?

Mark - those organic, molocules associated with charcoal is
biologically liable and may be valuable substrate for beneficial
microbes. Not so with arsenic once you got it it is there. Think about
the era where arsenic was once used as pesticide in apple orchards of
eastern Washington, some of these soils are harboring high levels of
this mineral. There must be a body of research on uptake

Rich