[Terrapreta] char & vascular systems (lead and arsenic)

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 14 08:26:13 CDT 2008

Thank you very much Mark.  This should come in handy.
  Page 7 contains some guidelines for contamination levels ("residential
soil cleanup standards of ... 20 mg/kg for arsenic.. (and) concentrations
below 37 mg/kg should protect the health of children having frequent
exposure to contaminated soils... 175 mg/kg as safe for adults having
occasional exposure to contaminated soil.").

Also: "Concentrations of lead and arsenic in soil may be 10 to 1000 times
greater than their concentrations in plants growing on that soil." "Seeds
and fruits typically have lower lead and arsenic concentrations than do
leaves, stems or roots. Roots and tubers usually have the highest lead and
arsenic concentrations, with the skin having higher lead and arsenic
concentrations than does the inner flesh. The lead content of roots
correlates more closely to soil lead than does lead in leaves or stems,
possibly because roots tend to retain absorbed lead and not transport it
higher up into the plant. Tree fruits such as apples and apricots contain
very low lead and arsenic concentrations."

    Lloyd Helferty
    Thornhill

  _____