[Terrapreta] Puzzle

folke Günther folkeg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 16:59:54 CDT 2008

*Char has a density of around 0.17. Don't expect to make it sink. It will
adsorb a lot of things anyhow. When you put it in soil, it will work both as
an adsorbent an as a home for fungi and micro-organisms.
If you want to e sure that all liquid passes as much as possible of the
char;
*

   1. *fill the char in a bag of cloth (nylon? for washability) of about the
   same volume of a plastic bucket with a lid.
   *
   2. *In the lid, you make a hole, about 5 cm.
   *
   3. *Through the hole you run the open end of the bag and
   *
   4. *tie it onto a simple funnel that you get by cutting off the end of a
   PET bottle*
   5. *fill your pee into the bucket through the funnel*

*Then, you can be sure that all the pee will pass through the char, and
ultimately collect in the bucket. When the bucket is full enough, you take
up the bag, filled with 'charged' charcoal and put the remaining liquid on
the compost or any other appropriate place.

FG

*2008/6/15 MFH <mfh01 at bigpond.net.au>:

>  Herewith photo of some char that's been afloat for 3 weeks, despite
> adding some pee and a teaspoon of detergent.  Today I added a tablespoon of
> molasses to see if that helps during the next week.
>

> See http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/hendersonfloatchar
>

> If it's so difficult to "wet", then it's not going to be very effective in
> the soil. However, it certainly is effective in the comparison vege beds I'm
> trialling. So it's reasonable to assume that some processes occur after the
> char is added to the soil which enables moisture and critter penetration.
>

> Earlier in the week we had 11" of rain over 3 days. There's no evidence
> that any char floated out of the trial beds.
>

> The second and third photos show young cabbages – first in the bed with
> char, next in the bed without char.
>

> Max H

NB :Send your mails to folkeg at gmail.com, not to holon.se
Folke Günther