[Terrapreta] First Hello & General Background

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sun Jun 15 18:11:14 CDT 2008

If you are planning to follow crop performance and soil fertility for
long periods then I see no reason to start any time. In addition,
using charcoal applications as a side dressing may well be the best
method to apply. Perhaps you can show us. : > )

Summer cover cropping with buckwheat might be an option to work in
charcoal. For a crop already emerging say with seedlings in 2 or 3
leaf stage, I did try applying compost and charcoal mixed as a side
dressing in 2004 and 2005. I then worked in the mixture with a scuffle
hoe. This puts the charcoal right in the root zone of the growing
seedlings and may be an efficient way of extending a limited supply of
charcoal. The 2005 application shown in this picture was a disaster
because I mixed an excessive dose of fertilizer with the charcoal and
the controls did better than the treated. Currently I am following
Folks' advice and composting my charcoal with alfalfa and small amount
of urea then planning to use in my winter vegetable garden.

In this photo taken June 2004 here was my first experiment with
charcoal after the UGA conference. The crop was red alder, a tree
species that  has root nodules with the beneficial organism, Frankia
that fixes  nitrogen. As a normal practice when growing this species I
inoculate with collected , mashed root nodules after the seedings
emerge. This time I tried with and without charcoal mixed in with the
compost carrier. The purpose was to see if charcoal gave me better
rate of nodulation. I did have indications that it was improving root
nodulation and I am now using charcoal powder for this purpose.

In a few weeks as my cattail seedlings are emerging, we grow them on
methyl bromide sterilized soil, I will be using the same technique to
reapply natural beneficial microbes with collected muck and mashed
roots, in charcoal and compost sprinkled on the surface of the soil.

Using collected inoculum is an established forest nursery practice but
adding charcoal to the mix was inspiration from Dr. Makoto Ogawa who
showed me this method in his presentation at UGA where in a Sumatra
forest container nursery and after the roots had grown out of the
containers he got mycorrhizal infection that traveled up these roots,
somehow, from a charcoal/inoculum mix sprinkled on the ground cloth.

Rich
On Jun 15, 2008, at 9:28 AM, Lloyd Helferty wrote:

> Thank you Richard.  We have not yet started trials, but I do see great
> potential in starting trials by next year at the latest.
> Do you believe there is some validity for beginning to apply char to
> soils
> at this point in the season, even though most planting/seeding
> activities
> have already been completed for the season?

comments above