[Terrapreta] First Hello & General Background

Lloyd Helferty lhelferty at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 19 21:41:07 CDT 2008

  This reminds me of the idea of creating 'seed balls' to help spread and
re-seed, especially in hard-to-plant areas.  One makes 'seed balls' by
mixing the seed for each season's crop with (usually) clay, compost or
manure, which are then formed into small balls and dried. Much less seed is
used than in conventional growing, resulting in fewer plants which are
smaller but stronger with a higher yield. It is an ancient technique that
was re-introduced by Masanobu
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masanobu_Fukuoka> Fukuoka.
There was some talk on the Biochar list of using Biochar instead of or in
conjunction with the clay/compost/manure to re-seed.
See, for instance,
http://permaculturetokyo.blogspot.com/2006/10/seed-balls.html
  I've also read that seed balls are one of the best methods for
re-naturalizing areas if a mixture of multiple native plant seeds are used
when making the seed balls.  Not all of the seeds will germinate, but
depending on the particular micro-habitat of the individual sites where the
seed balls are spread, some of them likely will be able to survive and
propagate.
The addition of sugars or starches to the mix may be an interesting idea if
it becomes 'a food source for microorganisms' that will inhabit the soils.
I would suspect that the cheapest [$$] organic binder would probably be the
most appropriate from the list provided below.

    Lloyd Helferty
    Thornhill

  _____