[Terrapreta] Farm/compost biochar

Dick Gallien dickgallien at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 22:28:22 CDT 2008

Didn't get any list response when I thought about making a larger Adam
retort, using concrete, but others said it wouldn't hold up to the heat, so
am looking for a minimum 12' dia steel tank, 30'+ long.  Would lay it in a
trench into a bank, half or more covered with dirt.  Could then cram brush
in with a loader.  City people pay to dump brush at my compost site, 7 days
a week and I'm getting buried in it.  To make rough biochar to spread on my
farm fields is an ideal answer to tree waste disposal, which 90% in this
area solve by torching.  I've searched the net, but if any of you in the
Ia., Wi., Mn. area know of any tank salvage places, please tell me.  Any
thoughts on how this tank idea might or might not work, would be
appreciated.  Thanks,  Dick

--
Dick Gallien
22501 East Burns Valley Road