[Terrapreta] Practical stuff

MFH mfh01 at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 23 04:09:50 CDT 2008

Attached photo shows (with some imagination), burning gas from the holes
under the 200 litre char drum.

This was taken at the near-end of a 3-hour burn. The gas has almost gone and
the flame is yellow rather than the blue at the height of the process.

At the base are red hot coals. Bear in mind that there was only some 40kg of
firewood added at the beginning of the process. So after 3 hours there
couldn't possibly be anything combustible left. My simplistic explanation is
that the gases emitting from the 8 x 8mm holes in the drum have taken most
of the available O2, and the "coals" have maintained some structure as a
result.

I'd encourage everyone to play a little with this sort of trial, or
replicate Kurt's "upside-down" experiments. And be blown away at the energy
release.

We're basically trying to recover a soil-enhancing technique that's at least
2000 years old. It will be a lot easier to "sell" if we can demonstrate the
huge energy benefits.

Max H