[Terrapreta] list of benign effect

Michael Bailes michaelangelica at gmail.com
Thu Jun 26 16:05:23 CDT 2008

Another list from
http://biochar.pbwiki.com/
1.01 What are the benefits of using biochar in the garden?

The following benefits occur with additions of biochar

   - Enhanced plant growth
   - Suppressed methane emission
   - Reduced nitrous oxide emission (estimate 50%)
   - Reduced fertilizer requirement (estimate 10%)
   - Reduced leaching of nutrients
   - Stored carbon in a long term stable sink
   - Lowered soil acidity
   - Lowered aluminum toxicity
   - Increased soil aggregation due to increased fungal hyphae
   - Improved soil water handling characteristics
   - Increased soil levels of available Ca, Mg, P, and K
   - Increased soil microbial respiration
   - Increased soil microbial biomass
   - Stimulated symbiotic nitrogen fixation in legumes
   - Increased arbuscular mycorrhyzal fungi
   - Increased cation exchange capacity

Perhaps add protective housing for bacteria.?

I am not sure about "Lowered soil acidity", that has not been my experience.
.
Also I think you need organic matter as well as charcoal for this list to
work
Australian soils on average have a mere 6% and plenty of charcoal from
bushfires.

2008/6/26 folke Günther <folkeg at gmail.com>:

> Hi!
> Someone on he list had summarized he benign effect that is to be expected
> by adding char to the soil, but now, I cant find it.
> Does anybody know where it is?
>
> YS
> FG
>
> --
> NB :Send your mails to folkeg at gmail.com, not to holon.se
> Folke Günther
> Kollegievägen 19
> 224 73 Lund
> Sweden
> Phone: +46 (0)46 141429
> Cell: +46 (0)709 710306
> BLOG: http://folkegunther.blogspot.com/

Michael
Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess,
and you don't find out til too late that he's been playing with two queens
all along.
Terry Pratchett