[Terrapreta] biochar and no-till

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Sun Jun 29 19:02:37 CDT 2008

Lou-------My solution to the problem of moving charcoal into the
soil, for better or worst, is to make a very fine power out of it and
with water (urine, rock dust, garden weeds for added richness and a
couple of weeks in solution) then drench the soil. This is an effort
to duplicate, in part, the movement of suspension of clay particles
threw the soil in water.

I have seen the fine particles of clay, in suspension, move through
several hundred feet of Pacific NW forest duff (0-12 inches / 0-30
centimeters) and cloud up a fairly large pond. Of course, this was a
800 home housing tract and the discharge water from an overfilled
detention pond through a 6" (15 centimeter) pipe likely discharged
several thousand gallons of storm water. A similar event happened
with a an uphill pile of exposed excavated subsoil. In this case, the
sediment was put in to motion by rain drops off the branches of Cedar
trees. The suspended material traveled 50 feet (15 meters) in the
duff layer (not surfacing) till reaching a gravel driveway.

It would be advisable to add the charcoal fines under a dryer soil
conditions so that the suspension does not travel to far.

I know that this is a small percentage of the charcoal and at the
same time who said we needed to replicate 1 to 6,000 years of
application in one effort. In addition, manual turning of a surface
accumulation of fine charcoal, the washing of fine particles into
hoof prints or into critter holes cannot be excluded.

This is an idea that I am working with and labor and  energy
intensive techniques can be done by others... as long as the oil
flows. Hugs and, to all, I will pass on any kisses. Your a pleasure
to write to-------Larry