[Terrapreta] biochar and no-till

MFH mfh01 at bigpond.net.au
Mon Jun 30 03:39:14 CDT 2008

Lou,

I guess there are many variables here - what sort of soil to start with,
what climate, how much humus is present, time of the year, size of the char
pieces, rainfall patterns.. some of the "known unknowns".

My thoughts are that char on its own is not going to wring any instant
miracles. For small plots like vege gardens I'm happy with the results of
trials of piling animal manure + worm castings + old straw + rotting citrus
+ char on top of existing dirt without tilling, and planting directly into
this layer.  After crop one the first 3-4" of soil has become rich and
friable under this layer. I'll add some more of this stuff between crops and
anticipate that the underlying soil will improve further.

But char is not humus. Adding 3" of char on top of any soil isn't going to
provide any quick benefit unless there are also some of the above. Maybe 3"
of char on the surface will be beneficial after 20 years of weather
patterns, but I've only got 140 good years left.

Sincerely, M

  _____