[Terrapreta] & Greenhouse Gas from the non-Indian pensioner

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sun Mar 2 21:33:19 CST 2008

On Mar 2, 2008, at 5:51 PM, Michael Bailes wrote:

> Thanks Richard an interesting article on TP

The pdf was passed on to us by Folke Gunther. Tom has the link now and
is available. The usendit service is how Folke transmitted it. It is
an interesting service.

> I was most interested in his comments that charcoal should not be
> added to soil without fertiliser as it would lock up nutrients.
> I had not heard that before

or compost.

I concur completely with Gunther on this aspect of charcoal in soil.
At the UGA conference in 2004, I was instructed to pretreat the
charcoal by Dr Ogawa and others. In addition my own research last year
which is a repeat of Christoph Steiners work in Manaus charcoal
combinations fared better than charcoal alone. Also, Larry Williams
has had particular success with his enrichment of charcoal with urine,
food drippings and aging in the weather for several months before
using. At present we are designing a spring treatment of our remaining
charcoal that we will implement in a few weeks. We will inform the
list how this comes together.

We both, Larry and I , feel very strongly that this biological
dimension of terra preta nova is critical. Beyond this idea of
charging this charcoal with nutrients getting it as habitat for the
beneficial bacteria and fungi makes it prepotent.

Also keep in mind that in general the context for the use of charcoal
in soil and terra preta nova is in analog situations to the  tropical
oxisols, ie om poor, leached. In arid climate soils and in naturally
rich soils this requirement for precharging may not be as critical.

> What is the software you used to send it?
> It says it has downloaded a copy to my hard drive but now having
> read it I can't find it again.

It probably out it into a downloads folder. Do a search for a file
named 'Terra pretav1_0 ' This work by Gunther is an important
educational tool about charcoal in carbon capture and for the slash
and char agenda. Please note there is also a power point  file by him
which offers a  companion to the pdf text also available in the
'library'.