[Terrapreta] Biochar Sequestration Calculations

Ryan Hottle ry.hottle at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 20:46:25 CST 2008

I am currently working on a graduate thesis paper on the topic of solutions,
mitigation strategies, and adaptation to climate change and peak oil.  I am
wondering about the calculations and soil testing methods required to
measure the amount of biochar sequestration on a given piece of land.
Specifically: has anyone developed software tools to model biochar carbon
sequestration; and what are the calculations used to derive carbon
sequestration via biochar.

Lastly, I am interested on the ability to scale up biochar production such
that we can lower atmospheric CO2 levels to pre-industrial levels (i.e. 270
ppm) by 2050... How might we accomplish this using a) small-scale
"appropriate technology" type methods, b) using more sophisticated
large-scale biochar production methods in which off-gases are trapped (and
perhaps incorporated into biochar as nitrogen amendment), and c) a
combination of the two approaches.

I am interested in working in a collaborative manner to develop an excel
spreadsheet that calculates these figures vis-a-vis carbon reductions in
regard to maintaining CO2 levels under dangerous threshold points of
climatic destabilization.  If anyone is interesed in working on this
together... please email me.

Thanks,
Ryan Hottle

I look forward to this most well-informed group's opinions.

Thanks so much,
Ryan

--
Ryan Darrell Hottle