[Terrapreta] Char sorption of water.

Brian Hans bhans at earthmimic.com
Thu Mar 6 17:12:20 CST 2008

But ofc we all know peatmoss breaks down. So peat vs TP is like comparing a house of cards vs Ayer's rock :)

  Regardless, Im just trying to get a feel for what TP people are working with. I know there will be alot of varied #s which is what Im looking for, real numbers. Just thought it would be an easy experiment for anyone to do in 5 minutes.

  Brian

in Chisholm <kchisholm at ca.inter.net> wrote:
  Dear Brian

You could expect a wide variation in results...

>From the 225% you observed, but probably as not as much as teh 850% one
can get with peat moss.

Some variables could be:
*Physical size of charcoal
*Soaking time
*Soaking pressure
*Water Temperature
*Whether water was saturated with air, or if it had been de-aerated
*Presence or absence of wetting agents
*Presence or absence of salts
*Charcoal firing temerature
etc...

What do you want to accomplish? What is the purpose of your testing?

Best wishes,

Kevin