[Terrapreta] Char sorption of water.

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Thu Mar 6 18:00:51 CST 2008

Brian

I'll try it to-night with some of pyrolytic char for a comparison.

I'd like you to try this second experiment:  Fill a bottle half full
of char, add lots of water, cap it air-tight, and shake.  Listen when
you take the cap off, you'll hear a "whoosh," and the container is
slightly warmer.  There must be an oxidizing reaction which happened,
right?

Now take this wet char and dry it.  Now wet it again and observe
where originally the fresh char wouldn't suck up water, this water-
conditioned char will suck it up readily.  Somehow the first mixing
(oxidation?) has neutralized enough of the charges (some of those
free carbon ions from which all the hyrdrogen and oxygen had been
driven off by heat?) on fresh char.

Of course, since your charcoal (HTP?) is made very differently, you
probably won't get a "whoosh."

(Please forgive me.  As is obvious, I didn't study more than first
year chemistry, but I can't resist guessing.)

Gerrit