[Terrapreta] What is so bad about global warming?

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Mon Mar 10 15:17:13 CDT 2008

I suppose you are also correct Greg about why you might be here. In my
opinion since the benefits in agriculture is better fertility
management  reducing dependence on chemical fertilizer and reducing
fallow times in the tropics and temperate zone (thereby reducing need
for tropical forest clearing)  these are all part of the same set that
reduce the atmospheric carbon cloud.

If you are using charcoal in soil that has good OM and is supplemented
with compost or fertilizer annually then the only major benefit will
indeed be sequestration.

Do you have results that show the contrary? My goal here in PNW is to
show improved  soil OM and chem-autotrophic nitrogen fixation.

Myself I do not dwell upon the GW issue but the broad application of
charcoal in soil as an agricultural practice will extract that carbon
from the atmospheric cloud.

Rich