[Terrapreta] What is so bad about global warming?

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Tue Mar 11 01:08:52 CDT 2008

Dan-------If I understand your question regarding "exist(ing) pre-
carbon sequestration", you are referring to oil or gas extraction
being a normal part of the biological process and why is it bad for
the atmosphere now. I have also wondered about that historic carbon,
also. My first thought is that we were very fortunate to have that
carbon sequestered deep in the earth less we might not have this
conversation now. I do have a question, about you not understanding
that there is a problem to our use of buried hydrocarbons. Most of my
information is off the internet. It is very easy to digest
information from commercial radio and television and not hear any of
these events except in recent months there have been increasingly
more articles.

For example, this article, "Carbon Output Must Near Zero To Avert
Danger,  New Studies Say", what is significant is the change in
concern for what is happening in the atmosphere over two or three
years ago. As new field reports and research papers are released the
trend is that we need to act, increasingly so, with each new report.
We will be a carbon-free society in far less than 2050 or in the hot
house. I would be glad to dialog with you or anyone else on this
list, privately if you like.

Do know that the pre-industrial level for CO2 was around 280 ppm and
last year it was 383 ppm.

 From my perspective, we need to radically cut our carbon-negative
activities or the weather disasters that have occurred in increasing
frequency in recent decades will continue. The larger corporations
are talking about being carbon neutral while the bottom line is more
important than reality. Carbon neutral means that mankind will be
required to adapt to today's existing weather disturbances or if we
achieve carbon neutral at some time in the future we can use the CO2
ppm to gage the strength of the weather storms and witness our folly.

Those future weather patterns of drought, flood, tornadoes, melting
ice, as examples, will continue to devastate humankind. Keep in mind
that we are nowhere near being carbon neutral. Do you have much time
to read or watch on-line videos? I can supply you with a range of
articles and papers.

Buried charcoal is carbon negative and is the longest term storage
that we are able to demonstrate. High tech toys cannot produce enough
charcoal to effectively lower the atmosphere's CO2 percentages. They
are to expensive to produce the quantity that is needed. Would you
call it a poor return on investment or the dollar to char deal? One
scientific paper (section: ANCIENT AND MODERN FUEL USE) refers to the
lost of 50% of the worlds forests in the last 10,000 years. Sean
Barry has given some figures on the amount of wood needed to extract
CO2 from the atmosphere. An earlier posting contains his figures.
What he didn't mention was when were the forest areas calculated. I
see the potential of reclaiming seasonal  water courses in those
deserts. See "Harvesting the Water" - Geoff Lawton and Greening the
Desert (Sustainable Agriculture). Especially, where there are incised
dry stream beds.

But hey, I like to grow plants and they need water and if I grow a
plant then I can make charcoal and you, what's your pleasure?-------
Larry

P.S. Most of this article was written when I read your request to end
this topic. Although, I started this article with your comments in
mind, a larger question about the different reasons for being on this
list came up. So with due respect to your request and not to focus on
your first posting but to focus on the larger question of different
reasons for being on the Terra Preta list I forward my posting to
all. Most importantly, because we have 50% less forests than 10,000
years ago, the use of the concept,Terra Preta fashioned into Terra
Preta nova, needs to be practiced in desert regions of the world.
Thanks for the question and the responses that followed. May you hold
Peace in your thoughts tonight, one and all...