[Terrapreta] Wood as source of mercury emissions?

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Tue Mar 11 11:55:09 CDT 2008

Dear Greg

Greg and April wrote:

> Involved in a discussion on another list ( mercury and cement ), and
> one guy mentioned that wood is a source of mercury and as proof, he
> offered up this little tid bit:
>
> http://www.mass.gov/dep/toxics/stypes/hgch3c.htm#wood

This reference indicates that ALL the wood burning plants studies
emitted a total of about 1.5 pounds of mercury per year.... the rate is
about 6.7X10^-6 lbs Hg per ton of wood, and wood burned is in teh order
of 200,000 tons/yr.. Mercury release from lamps broken in Massachusets
is estimated at about 74 lbs/year. Dental loses to the environment are
about 28 pounds per year.

It seems to be a real stretch to blame wood burning for a mercury concern.

Best wishes,

Kevin