[Terrapreta] Char charged vermicomposting trial---They like it!

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Fri Mar 14 14:01:21 CDT 2008

Hi Frank,

I think I heard once from a sustainable farming researcher in Wisconsin that Savanna, Steppes, or Cerrato is an ecosystem that is 7 times more photosynthetically active than an acre of corn.  It is the most photosynthetically active of all plant ecosystems today, I think he said?
This would be what I would imagine is more this primordial, original state.  With this kind of a change in agrarian management, then our acres of corn, rice, sorghum, soy, cotton, and now energy, etc crops will need be planted amongst shrubbery and tree laden hillsides and grasslands.

Folke Gunthur talks about using 20' industrial hemp stands as a biomass feedstock.  Others have spoken of Miscanthus, Elephant grass, and Salix (Willow) as feedstocks for cellulosic biomass.  Hemp: 22 tonnes dry weight and 6 ton charred per acre is a huge amount of biomass on a hectare.

The Terra Preta is seemingly more like a complex mixture, of compost, SOM/SOC, mineral charcoal, and living soil microorganisms, maybe?  TP looks like it is built over time with the growth of soil microorganisms and plant components in the rhizosphere, probably vermiculture, and other active "living organics" in soil.

The "bloom" in plant growth appreciated with TP has to occur after the activation in the soil of this whole ecosystem: the plants, soil microorgansims, charcoal, water, minerals, and native soil mixture.  The soil is that which creates the conditions for the soil to help produce the increased plant growth.  The native soils without those properties cannot produce or sustain the same kind of plant growth.  Sustaining Terra Preta-like performance in soil probably depends on concentrating essential nutrients into good nutrient holding soils, too.

I think more charcoal means more nutrient holding capacity in some way.  The sheer volume of surface crater, nook, and cranny on a lot of "bits of charcoal" must be enormous.  Just guesstimating @ (~0.2 hectare/gram), then * (5 metric tonnes (10E6 grams)/hectare), the surface area on 5 tons of charcoal per hectare just covers a hectare!  The microbes are the nutrient holding capacity in the soil.  The charcoal is the place where they live and do that.  So, more charcoal (and surface area) in the soil means more fertility per surface area on the site.  Maybe the Inca royalty had more charcoal and bones buried in the ground on their sites, huh?

After lets say, charring all or some of the biomass on a hectare of soil, putting that charcoal into that hectare of soil, then letting it return to native plants, to get more charcoal onto the ground means charring all or some of the biomass on that hectare of land again, or getting more biomass from other areas, charring that, and applying it onto that original hectare.  It you want to keep the plants on that hectare, then you get the biomass from other areas.  As long as you do this, you continually import new and more minerals with the charcoal from the other feedstock sites.

I think it is this built up concentration of minerals, charcoal, and living organisms that create these banks of Terra Preta in the soil.  By definition, since humankind probably didn't have other than human powered mechanical equipment, making Terra Preta was a site specific endeavor originally.  The addition of mineral sources from outside the TP sites, which must have occurred, I think, could be an important key to making a TP formation.  It speaks to charcoal and fertility management together, for sure, don't' you think?

Hi Frank,

I wondered if you could answer this.  In full climax ecosystems like you speak of, how does this plant/soil ecosystem change the C:N ratio in the soil?  Does nitrogen fixation come into play in these ecosystems more than others?