[Terrapreta] Charcoal, Carbon Credits, and Net Present Value of TP Benefits

Peter Read peter at read.org.nz
Sat Mar 15 05:50:57 CDT 2008

Dear Kevin and all
I'm afraid I don't know much about the detailed workings of these markets or
what brokerage fees are.  I guess that as the market matures fees will
settle down in line with fees in other markets.
As to who actually gets the credits, I believe it will turn out to be a
contractual matter.  I do some activity (e.g. grow corn) on your land which
generates $Y carbon credits.  The contract specifies whether you or I keep
the $Y and what rent I pay - if you keep the credits the rent is lower, if I
keep the credits the rent is higher.  This simplification abstracts from the
costs associated with the corn growing activity of course -- no doubt a real
world contract would be a pretty complex document.
Peter