[Terrapreta] -----and Net Present Value of TP Benefits

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sat Mar 15 11:12:17 CDT 2008

On Mar 14, 2008, at 8:47 PM, Kevin Chisholm wrote:

> Peter Read wrote:

Hello Kevin  - drifting a bit from the thread but an interesting topic
to me.

by NPV you mean direct value to farmer such as added CEC  or OM
equivalent? The real value to farmer - not discounted carbon credit is
what will make this all happen as general practice in agriculture.

What is the real economic benefit to the farmer per ton applied to
land will depend on  soil type, climate and needs for fertilizer
supplements to maintain fertility levels and as yet unquantified
benefits of charcoal additive in soil. This figure of NPV $50  could
be quite higher.

Most important in soils where organic matter needs to be monitored
carefully to maintain productive capacity (not all do), what needs to
be calculated is the cost of raising soil organic matter an equivalent
amount permanently.  Ie the cost in lost production of fallow periods
and the cost of reestablishing farming if the land has gone back to
forest during fallow.

I am hoping the block research currently underway at our farm
comparing compost to charcoal to fertilizer and permutations will
answer this question for us at 4CN.

In our farming we are holding organic matter at 4 % minimum with
biannual applications of 1 cubic yard of compost made from sewage
solids and sawmill wood waste per 1000 sq. feet. In addition, we are
adding summer and winter cover cropping when a particular section is
fallow. So far as a OM supplement sawdust alone will do the job when
balanced with garden fertilizer to compensate for binding of N and P
by the decomposing wood. But this OM benefit in tilled soil is gone in
a few years whereas the charcoal lasts as I am trying to quantify at
our soil.

Buying charcoal at $ 200/ton will not happen for us in the short term
anyway because of these economic factors. I do not know what a cubic
yard of dry sawdust weighs but cost is  most likely 5 % or less and we
use about 250 yards or more  annually. What might happen though in the
near term is our on farm waste wood summer dried and converted to
charcoal by some sort of smothered combustion. In our climate dry
weather July through September will allow us to do this by windrowing
with farm machinery.

We will have significant quantities available, probably each year 300
cubic yards of loose twigs, roots and reject plant trimmings. Right
now we either burn this stuff or use the soil/weed and reject plants
as fill. Labor and use of equipment on farm does not equate to
purchases outside of normal operations hence costs we incur on such a
project are more easily absorbed as I suppose they are elsewhere. I am
thinking some sort of buried pyrolysis with movable scrap sheet metal
and wet spoiled hay in a top lit bottom draft system similar to our
project 2 years ago.

If the value of farm waste worked into soil, say corn or wheat  is
higher when converted to charcoal then the most efficient method for
doing this onsite will rule in the end.