[Terrapreta] Biomass sources

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Mon Mar 17 22:57:11 CDT 2008

Hello Kurt

There are answers to all your questions. There is quite a substantial
body of literature to review in the postings at <http://terrapreta.bioenergylists.org/

I see your address is Australia. Mine is coastal cool moist climate of
Pacific NW of US. Comments are in my climatic and resource context.

On Mar 17, 2008, at 7:14 PM, Kurt Treutlein wrote:

> Where is all that biomass to come from? Cut down existing forests??
> Not
> good.

Timber harvest here is typically clear cut production on 50 to 80 year
rotation. Slash and waste are typically piled and burned resulting in
1 to 2 % conversion to charcoal where pyrolysis would yield 30 to 40%
charcoal Room for a lot of carbon sequestration here , and also
sawmill, urban wood waste.

> Grow it on agricultural land? Also not good, we're short of food
> now and certain activities to produce bio fuels are exacerbating that.

Nowadays farmers pump their land with fertilizer and crop back to
back. Sensible farming utilizes fallow periods and cover cropping to
restore natural fertility. Growing short rotation woody crops or even
industrial hemp as annual cellulose source for charcoal will return as
much as 6 metric tons charcoal per hectare and in Sweden with their
carbon tax US equivalent of $3,460 to enrich their soils and to
utilize energy value for offset of processing costs. If such a
rotation was done every 3-4 years fertility and organic matter content
of soils would increase every cycle.

> Use all the "waste" crop residues (eg corn stover)? Also not good. If
> you remove that and turn it into char, where is the Soil Organic
> Material going to come from?
> We're short of that virtually everywhere

Agreed that soil organic matter is its lifeblood. Charcoal in the form
of properly prepared bio-char emulates organic matter in form and
function. Ordinary organic matter on the other hand is substrate
(food) for soil microbes and is eventually oxidized to CO2 disappear
into the atmosphere. Charcoal and its positive effects last thousands
of years in the soil. To have immediate benefit in soil charcoal must
be preconditioned with urea, urine or compost before incorporation.

The question to me is just how do we go about accomplishing this
biomass conversion. With purchased appliances or with appropriate
technology.?

> now, are we going to end up with sterile soils that need artificial
> fertilizers to produce anything at all? I mean we've basically got
> that
> now, in many places. Will the improved productivity of the created
> Terrapreta Nova make up for it?
> We don't know, and personally, I doubt
> it.

Good questions worthy of a great discussion and/or a literature
reading project. I do not agree with your conclusion. If you are
curious spend some time in the files section. A partial answer would
be that there are climates and soils where the benefits, or the
reasons for using charcoal will differ and results will be either
subtile or dramatic but they will be always positive. In all cases
converting forest; agricultural waste to biochar before incorporation
in the soil will result in long lasting effects of stabilized organic
matter improved soil conditions and biological function that would
otherwise disappear in a few months to years with ordinary organic
matter additions.

> We still have to find out if this works anywhere but in tropical
> soils like the Amazon.

The bottom line is that we need to promote and adopt wide-scale use of
direct carbon sequestration by burying charcoal in soil.

This quote from NASA climate scientist, James Hansen et al , article
summary, Target Atmospheric CO2: Where should humanity aim? , gives us
our mission if we are to survive

  If humanity wishes to preserve a planet similar to that on which
civilization developed, paleoclimate evidence and
ongoing climate change suggest that CO2 will need to be reduced from
its current 385 ppm
to at most 350 ppm. The largest uncertainty in the target arises from
possible changes of
non-CO2 forcings. An initial 350 ppm CO2 target may be achievable by
phasing out coal
use except where CO2 is captured and adopting agricultural and
forestry practices that
sequester carbon. If the present overshoot of this target CO2 is not
brief, there is a
possibility of seeding irreversible catastrophic effects.