[Terrapreta] SIMPLE CHARCOAL PRODUCTION TECHNOLOGIES

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Sat Mar 22 11:01:08 CDT 2008

thank you gerald - Helpful at moment as I am planning to make some
charcoal, later this spring.

I want to make it similar to our top draft earth covered pile of last
year where we pyrolysed about 1.5 cords in one burn ( after 3 tries).
This season I will do the same with a stainless restaurant hood that
will let me stack about 1 cord. This year I have a endless supply of
pallet boards cut to length by a local recycling company. There is a
lot of oak and tropical hardwood so will make high quality charcoal.

I think where I am going with my idea this year is similar to the New
Hampshire kiln, ie an appliance that can be lifted off with the
tractor. I do not think it is necessary to do the elaborate welding
for this bottom draft system as if there was a bottom segment that the
hood sat on such as a berm  of soil, then the drafts could be dug in
where needed. I think there also should be some holes made  in the
hood with 1" pipes for management of combustion air.

The Montserratian 'coal' pit is interesting because it has
indeterminate length. I think a hybrid of this idea with a top draft
system is where I am going . A small  tractor/bucket can easily scale
this to any size for infield work.

My observation is that the stacking method and allowing for
circulation of hot gasses inside the pile is important. We used
pallets for base on a series of channels dug for circulation. We had
considerable contamination with soil from our earth covered pile that
came mainly with pile unloading. I think movable and easily
transportable panels up against a layer of wet cardboard then hay
would be the ticket.

Rich