[Terrapreta] Net Present Value and Net Future Value of TP Benefits

John G. Flottvik jovick at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 24 10:23:32 CDT 2008

List.

If we are not allowed to pollute the air here in developed countries using low tec systems, we cant feel its OK to do it here at home. To apply for, and go through the air emissions testing here in BC for the pyrolysis system is tough and there is no short cuts or forgiveness.

To make 45 gallon drum back yard, or other second rate pyrolysis systems do nothing but pollute and cant possibly meet the goal we at TP are trying to achieve. Even as a hobby to make charcoal, the emissions are extremely problematic.

Tom is right in that we need systems that can produce charcoal in large amounts, and the reason for this is that to make the process economical, more product needs to be made while keeping your overhead expenses down. Sean has rightly mentioned that your biogas cannot be expelled and has to be flared or used.
A properly designed system will use all the methane (gas) as [a] fuel for the pyrolysis process and [b] fuel for a secondary need such as a boiler for steam production or a power turbine. The charcoal stream will be divided into several arms such as JF BioCarbon (TP) some can be activated while the rest can be used as fuel pellets or BB briquettes. Low value heat can be harvested through internal heat exchangers for sale to nearby greenhouses or other needs. And then you have the bio-oil.

By utilizing everything the reactor does and making all the above mentioned products a sellable product, your economics will fall into place. Terra Preta can be achieved but not at the rate or speed some on the list would like to see but we need to start somewhere.

Regards
John Flottvik