[Terrapreta] Polar cities

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Tue Mar 25 13:27:06 CDT 2008

Hi Dan Bloom,

Polar Cities is an interesting concept.  Hopefully the need for them won't
be as dire as you predict; with a World War III Global War and all.  I
suspect many hundreds of millions of people will need to migrate and
possibly billions will die as a result of global climate changes and species
loss.  Strife over climate devastation is highly likely.  Perhaps wars can
be avoided with cooperative efforts.

We want to keep the world agricultural production as viable as possible.  We
will need as much arable soil as possible.  We will possibly need more honey
bees to do more pollination and/or plant and seed stocks to survive climate
change.  We will need to be able to grow enough food crops to feed more
people.  Where and how we live and survive will need to change some.

My son sent me an E-MAIL the other day with this attached message ->

http://www.alternet.org/workplace/67138/?page=1<http://www.alternet.org/workplace/67138/?page=1<http://www.alternet.org/workplace/67138/?page=1<http://www.alternet.org/workplace/67138/?page=1>>.

When the worlds poor are forced to move to higher ground or cooler climes,
then they will need food and jobs.  We need an agronomic world wide
revolution that re-combines food production with climate and soil mitigation
work.  Many GREEN jobs will need to be done by many 100s of millions
immediately and/or billions of people later to effect a correction for past
human activity (burning fossil fuel).  The agrarian model needs to be
maintained just to feed our billions of people.  The world climate zones are
going to absolutely change, no matter what.  Adaptation, then, is the key to
human survival.  Humans can make changes for improvement and repair the
environment, with jobs for the poor and get them food.  This is I think what
the promise of Terra Preta holds forward most.

Current industrial agricultural practices cannot continue as they are.
There is great dependence on fossil fuel based fertilizers, herbicides, and
pesticides.  Natural methods will need to be employed, as the fossil fuel
sources will first become very expensive and eventually run out.  It is
possible to make currently designed industrial fertilizers, herbicides,
pesticides out of biomass biochemical sources.  When doing this is less
expensive than doing it with fossil fuel based petrochemicals, then this is
how it could be done.

Availability of fresh water on arable land is the other very important and
changing set of requirements.  Both are undergoing large stresses and some
losses, in scattered areas worldwide.  Global warming may increase
atmospheric moisture levels (average relative humidity) in some areas and
reduce other areas to drought and desert.

Terra Preta soils have a capacity to store nutrients, retain water, and
maintain prolonged soil fertility.  If the Biosphere of living plants,
animals, and microorganisms can maintain the atmosphere, then TP can promote
the growth and health of our best efforts to maintain the atmosphere.  Terra
Preta formation is a tool we can use to join with the natural systems and
help maintain soil and atmospheric balances for living things.

Reducing fossil fuel use is imperative.  The CO2 and other emissions are at
toxic levels and rising fast.  We should change immediately over to more
renewable energy sources, including biomass, solar, geothermal, and wind,
plus use nuclear instead of coal for the energy we need.  The developing
"Third world" energy consumption should be supplied as much as possible from
renewable sources.  I think this could modify the rest of the world's energy
practices more effectively and less expensively than any other strategy.

Look at the Terra Preta site for information about its possible use as a
soil fertility improvement strategy and as a carbon sequestration strategy
at the same time!

Regards,

Sean K. Barry
Principal Engineer/Owner