[Terrapreta] Net Present Value and Net Future Value ofTPBenefits

bakaryjatta bakaryj at gamtel.gm
Wed Mar 26 12:58:09 CDT 2008

Dear concerned list members,

There are a few things I observed on the list. One is that sometimes the
consideration is one thing vs another. Another one that discussions of scale
and time can be a source of discouragement. A third issue is over the source
of biomass.

Perhaps it is necessary to step back a little to get a more comprehensive
view.

One: There is more than one way to skin a cat. Also, maybe in some places
rats take the place of cats. There are multible choices, and not all wrong.

Two: Moving a mountain can be done quicker with dynamite than with a pick
and shovel. Many people using one shovel at a time can move mountains. Do a
calculation of environmental friendliness between one way and the other.
Maybe a lot of unemployment is a matter of choice ?

As a farmer one knows one seed results in multiples in time. Growth is
exponental. Missing a day may lose you a season. Better get started, the
season is on right now! .

Three: Biomass covers all kinds of necessities. In fact, it is the answer to
all the woes. How did people get the idea that one must kill all living
things on a land in order to grow food? It is still being done today, while
combatting desertification is a major goal for our United Nations. Better
discuss what biomass species effectively takes the place of what has been
and still is being destroyed. There is obviously no standard answer. All is
site specific, but little biomass is tough enough to grow on concrete and
asphalt.

Perhaps the fate of the human race depends on going back to the land and
start looking after it properly? .It is easier to move human resources and
knowledge than the physical resouces. In the case of Terra Preta, I don't
believe the ancestors carried materials very far. I think they were more
effecient than our present generation.

To put it back on topic:

We did get reports of Present Value from practitioners. The Net Future Value
will depend on many dilligent practitoners. The majority have not heard of
TP yet.

Perhaps missionaries have to be engaged, as the media are not accessable to
many and are not yet doing the job very well right now.

Warm regards,

Bakary Jatta