[Terrapreta] Iwasaki's DIY barrel charcoal maker

Kurt Treutlein rukurt at westnet.com.au
Thu Mar 27 00:32:08 CDT 2008

Gerald Van Koeverden wrote:
> Greg,
>
> Here's a small-scale Japanese horizontal DIY model with very extensive
> fabrication instructions and photos:    "Iwasaki's high speed charcoal
> maker type IM-4SA."
<<snipped>>

Very nice, though a little cryptic, I thought. I hope anyone
contemplating making one of these is fully aware of the dangers of using
welding gear of any kind on enclosed drums that have had any kind of
oil, solvent or fuel in them. The result could easily be  a loud bang
with bits of metal flying in all directions taking parts of the operator
with them. I would even avoid using grinding wheels to do the cutting
until the drum was well and truly open.

And yes, I HAVE welded  fuel drums and fuel tanks, but only using
elaborate precautions. And washing them out was not one of them.

Kurt