[Terrapreta] Vinegar

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Fri Mar 28 10:31:41 CDT 2008

Thanks, Kevin!

The nearest analogy I can raise is the smoking of foods for purposes of
preservation. In my experience, at any rate, this has been accomplished with
the equivalent of low-temperature pyrolysis and while the smoke from a
smoldering fire is not overtly toxic to humans, it does seem to have an
affect on the bacterial activity in the meat or fish being smoked (yes, the
customary salting also lowers the water activity). If used as a soil
amendment, it seems reasonable to assume that there might be a similar
effect on soil flora.

Mark