[Terrapreta] Vinegar

bakaryjatta bakaryj at gamtel.gm
Fri Mar 28 13:17:06 CDT 2008

Dear Kevin, Mark, Gerrit,

Dr A D Karve mentioned vinegar as a good feed stock for a biogas digester.
It feeds the soil organisms  that are contained in the digester some of
which produce the methane gas. The effluent proves to be great in a
symbiotic relationship with plant roots resulting in increased  crop
production.

My hunch is that the India work, reported by Gerrit does something similar
in more direct way than using the digester for multiplication of soil
organisms.

Vinager as a by-product of making char and all the other ingredients added
in the process probably give an explosive growth of beneficial soil
organisms. The extraction of methane gas is the step skipped. The digester
operates in an anaerobic environment. During the char producing phase there
would be a low oxygen phase I suppose. As soon as the bed is disturbed
aerobic conditon would be restored.

Even if I am not correct in my hunch, it appears we have found out about
another way to attain the goal of sequestering CO2 and increasing food
production as well.

That's greatly encouraging.

Warm regards,

Bakary Jatta