[Terrapreta] Char made made under pressurized conditions?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Mar 29 14:42:07 CDT 2008

Hi Jeff,

You should read the work of Dr. Michael J. Antal from the University of Hawaii.  Some of his papers are listed on the 'terrapreta' site.  He has built several 10 ton per day pressurized pyrolysis reactors and the UofH and him license them.  He claims charcoal yields as high as 35-40% (dry weight charcoal/weight of biomass feedstock) and 93% fixed Carbon (fC) in the charcoal.  He is very knowledgeable about the bio-chemistry of the pyrolysis reaction.  He demonstrates that using pressure allows one to produce a higher yield of charcoal with most any biomass (wet or dry) and the reaction under pressure is also much faster; ~30 minutes per 1 ton? charge as opposed to 24 hrs per charge for standard air pressure operated reactors/kilns.

The retort is a vessel that is lowered into a pressurized capsule.  The reactor operates at ~150psi , I think, and is air-blown.  The biomass is heated by an electric coil in the bottom of the retort, while air (at pressure) is pulled through the biomass from the top of to the bottom of the retort.  This is all done under pressure, until the reaction is self-sustaining (exothermic).  Then the air flow (fuel/oxygen mixture) is maintained to reduce gas production and increase charcoal production.  That smaller amount of producer gas which is emitted is burned in a catalytic converter.