[Terrapreta] Char made made under pressurized conditions?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sat Mar 29 15:59:29 CDT 2008

Hi Greg,

Dr. Antal would know enough to answer most of your questions , I think.  His process can/does make activated charcoal, with little or no VM.  The reactor has to be run very hot to do this, like 900º C.  Activated charcoal has a very high surface area.  I don't know what this says about the actual pore struture though.  Probably lots of smaller pores.

I think it is a very good idea to mix charcoal with compost or other bio-fertilizers, something to set the C:N ratio more towards 40:1 down to 25:1.  If less charcoal is applied onto a field more often and cultivated in with other to-be-composted biomass, this will do the same thing with less charcoal, I would think.

I like the idea of getting charcoal, usable heat, and liquid transport fuels all entirely from biomass sources.  It should be recognized, though, that even biomass has a finite amount of chemical energy contained within it.  If you want all of this, then you need to have a pyrolysis process that makes the charcoal, allows you to recover and to use the heat directly, and then the fractional liquid distillates and or gaseous fuels will need to be refined and made directly into liquid transport fuels.  This last step of refining the liquids and/or gases to make automotive fuels is very difficult.  It can be done, but it requires expensive catalysts and the economies of a much larger scale.

There is a plant in Iowa, Colorado, and California, Rentech, that makes synthetic diesel fuel from "synthesis gas" (Syngas: mostly, H2, CO, some CO2, very little CH4) that is reformed from coal.  Syngas can be made from biomass, also, by blowing pure oxygen (instead of air) through a pyrolysis reactor.  "Producer gas" is just like syngas that has been diluted with Nitrogen-N2 (it also has more CH4, like ~1-3% content).

There are other possibilities, too.  For instance the heat and fuel gases or vaporized liquid VM can all be burned and used to produce heat and/or bring up steam to turn a turbine and produce electricity.  The fuel gases can run an internal combustion engine that turns a generator, too.
Some cars can be made to run directly off the gases from a charcoal making retort (see "woodgas" cars at www.woodgas.com<http://www.woodgas.com/>).  But, it is hard on ICE and these engines do not last long unless the gas used for fuel is very clean.  It you had an electric car, then the electricity you produced could charge the batteries on your car.