[Terrapreta] Char made made under pressurized conditions?

Greg and April gregandapril at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 29 11:50:32 CDT 2008

Either case, I still doubt that N2 as a reasonably inert gas will do
anything - either as a fertilizer or be absorbed into the char.    Remember,
most plants can not make use of gaseous nitrogen - only legumes, and they
have little need to pull it out of the ground, when they can pull unlimited
quantities out of the air, faster than we can even make char.   < grin >

OTOH, nitrogen as a compound - such as ammonia or urine has much greater use
as a fertilizer, and as something that can be absorbed into the char.

Personally, I hope to be adding char to the litter that is used for animal
bedding, thus giving it every chance to absorb any number of useful
fertilizer compounds, and be inoculated with any number of biological
organisms.

But that is actually beyond the question I asked.

What I was looking at is several possible results wrapped up under the
heading of " char produced under pressurized conditions ".

"Does char produced under pressurized conditions have a larger pore
structure or a smaller pore structure?"    I don't know, but it is quite
possible that there would be some change ( I would be surprised if there was
not some physical change - although perhaps not that we would immediately
recognize.    Are the changes good or bad?     I have no idea.    That's why
I'm asking.

"Are the distillates produced under such conditions, more readily useable as
a liquid fuel?"    There is some indication that this is true, as there are
a number of patents based not only on dry thermal depolymerization, but wet
thermal depolymerization as well, with temperatures starting as low as 250*C
or so ( usually with much higher pressures than 100 psi ) - but it's also
been known to happen at higher temperatures and lower pressures.
Wouldn't you agree that in a world with increasingly higher liquid fuel
prices, it would be really nice to be able to heat your house, make some
Terra Preta and a tank of fuel at the same time?    Again, this is why I'm
asking.

Greg H.