[Terrapreta] Char made made under pressurized conditions?

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Sat Mar 29 20:31:11 CDT 2008

On the contrary, I think charcoal has a very good chance of absosbing
ammonia produced in a compost pile, but it has nothing to do with hot
or cool charcoal.  After all, charcoal is used to filter out the
ammonia in fish tanks -  months after the charcoal has already
cooled.  Charcoal doesn't work like a paper filter in a coffee
machine that merely stops particles bigger than the holes in the
paper.   It works more like a sponge, or a clay particle.  The static
negative electrical charges within its pore structure attracts
cations (positively-charged ions) and holds them electrically like a
magnet.

Check out the following abstract.  It turns out that char produced by
low temperature (400) pyrolysis absorbed more ammonia than that
produced at higher temperatures.

http://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/110004809613/en/

I proposed this idea some time ago on this list.  If we could get a
researcher to test it successfully with compost making in general, we
would be able to change the prejudice against using charcoal in
making compost.

Gerrit