[Terrapreta] Charcoal is not OM but Stable Soil Carbon.

Brian Hans bhans at earthmimic.com
Sun Mar 30 15:14:29 CDT 2008

Tom et al.,

  I dont see how charcoal can be considered OM. I have been calling it Stable Soil Carbon. I was taught to not call the endpoint of composting OM but rather humus and other stable carbons. And because there is no real humic components in charcoal, we are left with calling charcoal 'stable carbon in the soil'.

  I am looking for others opinion here (and Im sure TP readers wont let me down).

  Brian

Tom Miles <tmiles at trmiles.com> wrote:
                Jim,

  “sequestering massive amounts of carbon” is the key. You seem to be saying that compositing doesn’t scale in a modern agricultural environment. Composting would seem to fit better at a small scale, as an urban high value soil amendment, or for a rural smallholder where the ingredients may be more available.

  I agree that Eduard in that at least in our environment the TP product must be prepared so that there are clear and predictable agronomic and economic benefits. That’s why I think the urban homeowner would be a good target for TP products that may in another form be applied to agriculture. Ag buyers will not pay as much as the homeowner, landscaper or enthusiastic gardener.

  I look at charcoal as a means of facilitating the growth of biomass. It becomes a stable part of the mix of OM rather than an attempt to replace or create OM.

  Tom