[Terrapreta] Char made made under pressurized conditions?

Sean K. Barry sean.barry at juno.com
Sun Mar 30 18:36:42 CDT 2008

Hi Jim,

Would you explain more about "sheet composting"?  Where (what plant or biomass source) do you think is enough and the kind of biomass needed to make enough charcoal to sequester massive amounts of carbon?

Any annual growth that decomposes anyway is probably the best source, I would think.  Fallen leaves and other yard wastes, grass clippings, annual crop residues, etc? Maybe not all woody, but at least carbon rich.  Consider municipal yard wastes, crop residues, coppiced Salix (willow) and Miscanthus grass, or industrial hemp?  Many hectares of something with large #'s of tons of biomass per hectare could produce a large CO2 reduction, if it were mostly carbonized, I would think.

You are right that reducing atmospheric CO2 concentrations would require massive amounts of biomass.  It is easily 25-40 Gt per year of dt biomass to make ~6-10 Gt of charcoal.  This is as large as and perhaps larger than the amount of biomass handled worldwide every year by humans now.  I think harvesting annual growth for charcoal and biomass energy, along with reducing the burning of fossil fuels, has a good chance at reducing the growth rate in CO2 concentrations.  If both are practiced widely enough, the combination can actually reduce atmospheric CO2 concentrations.

We can do this and eventually will need to be doing much of this work anyway (the looming energy crisis when fossil carbon fuels are too expensive to mine and too expensive for atmospheric considerations.  Hey Richard, here is a plank ... Tax fossil fuels heavily to subsidize renewable energy development and Terra Preta development.