[Terrapreta] Composting with Char

Gerald Van Koeverden vnkvrdn at yahoo.ca
Sun Mar 30 21:54:17 CDT 2008

In experiments in Japan, they added charcoal at only 1% by weight to
fresh (wet) cow manure; that would work out to roughly 5% by volume.
I have no idea how they came up with that ratio.  But it wouldn't
hurt to go much higher.

Why even bother adding soil to the compost pile?  It just adds a lot
more weight you have to cart back and forth.  Like Tom, I think that
charcoal and compost make up an ideal combination for both the urban
and rural gardener, especially for use in difficult soils.  The
compost serves to put a healthy nutrient charge into the structure of
the charcoal particles which in turn encourages stronger soil microbe
dynamics.

Gerrit