[Terrapreta] Composting with Char

Kevin Chisholm kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Sun Mar 30 20:22:07 CDT 2008

I would like to try some experiments of composting with char. Note that
this is not simply mixing compost with char, but rather adding char to
kitchen scraps and turning them periodically to aerate.

Char will be low temperature char, sized to 100% -4 MM. I tentatively
propose to run with about 1 part char to three parts compostable waste,
by volume,  from the kitchen sourced compostables.

Would anyone have suggestions on minimum or maximum amounts of char? Or,
any suggestions for other additives?

Dr. Karve's process of composting "in place" seems to make the greatest
sense. Would it inherently be better to compost with a soil addition to
the char and vegetative matter?

What about the following "recipe:
1 volume of charcoal
1 volume of soil
3 volumes of compostable vegetative material.

When finished, this should be roughly 1 part charcoal, 1 part soil, and
1 part compost. This could be added to the soil by tilling in to the
soil, or, by being spread on the surface, if "no-till agriculture" was
employed.

Any other comments or suggestions?

Best wishes,

Kevin