[Terrapreta] Charcoal is not OM but Stable Soil Carbon.

Richard Haard richrd at nas.com
Mon Mar 31 17:36:30 CDT 2008

Here is an quote from Lehmann et al, 2006 Bio-Char soil management p
517.

I think the answer to the question is there is a relationship between
high soil organic matter found in soils of the moist tropics and black
carbon, or biochar. In other places I have seen the author state that
biochar emulates organic matter. In my own work soil tests of soils
emended with charcoal have higher OM.

Rich H

Following is the first few paragraphs from this paper

Maintaining an appropriate level of soil organic matter and biological
cycling of nutrients
is crucial to the success of any soil management in the humid tropics.
Cover crops,
mulches, compost, or manure additions have been used successfully,
supplying nutrients
to crops, supporting rapid nutrient cycling through microbial biomass,
and helping
to retain applied mineral fertilizers better (Goyal et al., 1999;
Trujillo, 2002). The benefits
of such amendments are, however, often short-lived, especially in the
tropics, since
decomposition rates are high (Jenkinson and Ayanaba, 1977) and the
added organic matter
is usually mineralized to CO2 within only a few cropping seasons (Bol
et al., 2000). Organic
amendments therefore have to be applied each year to sustain soil
productivity.
Management of black carbon (C) — increasingly referred to as bio-char
— may
overcome some of those limitations and provide an additional soil
management option.
This is a highly aromatic form of organic matter that is present in
most soils to varying
extents (Schmidt and Noack, 2000; Skjemstad et al., 2002). Interest in
and application of
biomass-derived black carbon — using incompletely combusted organic
matter such as
charcoal (Glaser et al., 2002) — was prompted by studies of soils
found in the Amazon
Basin, referred to as Terra Preta de Indio (Lehmann et al., 2003c).
These Amazonian Dark
Earths are anthropic soils that were created by Amerindian populations
between 500 and
2500 years ago. They have maintained high amounts of organic carbon,
and their high
fertility, even several thousand years after they were abandoned by
the indigenous
517
population, contrasts distinctly with the low fertility of the
adjacent acid upland soils
(Lehmann et al., 2003b).
The reasons for these soils’ high fertility are multiple, but the
source of the large
amounts of organic matter and their high nutrient retention has been
attributed to the
extraordinarily high proportions of black carbon (Glaser et al.,
2001). Such large amounts
of black carbon can only originate from incompletely combusted biomass
carbon, such as
wood from kitchen fires or possibly from in-field burning (Smith,
1980; Hecht, 2003).Biological Approaches to Sustainable Soil Systems
518