[Terrapreta] Char made made under pressurized conditions?

Larry Williams lwilliams at nas.com
Sun Mar 30 15:23:46 CDT 2008

Tom-------I still question the value of composting in an urban or
rural smallholder environment. In general, from my perspective, the
collection, turning and necessary incorporation into the soil is
energy intensive and with the opportunities for volatilization and
leaching of nutrients composting is overrated.

I have moved to a new garden location with a highly disturbed soil
condition. I added amendments to a very heavy clay soil so that I
could have raised beds. In this situation with no stable soil
community, a input of compost may have helped. Early indications are
showing that this year's garden may suffer from the mixing. I will
use compost tea instead of compost and will interplant with a crop of
buckwheat which I will cut at an appropriate time. The purpose of the
buckwheat is it's roots system's release an exudates which feed the
"wee little beasties".

I do have a reasonable amount of prepared charcoal in most of the
garden.

Food for thought as one eats--------Larry